PATI: Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is PATI?

A: PATI stands for the Public Access to information Act 2010.  The legislation was enacted to provide open transparency for all public authorities.  Subject to certain restrictions, you have a legally enforceable right to access records and information held by those authorities. 


Q: Who can make a PATI request?

A: All Bermudians or residents of Bermuda can make a request. 


Q: What information will I not be able to access?

A: The act enables the Bermuda Police Service to restrict access under certain circumstances.  For example, we will not release any personal information about any other person.  We will also apply certain exemptions if we feel that releasing the information will interfere with our operational functions.  For example, if you request details of a current investigation and we feel that releasing that information may interfere with the investigation, then we may apply an exemption to that request and refuse to release it. If we decline to release certain records we will explain why we have done so.  

Q: Is there a cost associated with making an application?

A: There is no fee to make an application. However, if we hold the information and you want to receive copies of it, there may be fees associated depending on how you want the information sent and how long it takes us to obtain it. We will let you know how much it will cost and how you can make payment prior to releasing the information.  There is no fee if you simply wish to view the record in person.  


Q: How do I make an application?

A: The PATI page on the website contains a number of links to the application forms.  Depending on the type of information you wish to obtain, open the appropriate form and follow the instructions. We will require proof that you are either a Bermudian or a resident of Bermuda.  


Q: How long will it take?

A: We will acknowledge your application within five days and supply you with the information, where appropriate as soon as possible and within six weeks.  


Q: if I did not get the information I requested or am not satisfied with the information that I received is there any type of appeals process?

A: Yes.  An appeal can be made to the head of the public authority. If this does not remedy the situation, an appeal can be made to the independent  'Information Commissioner' who oversees all of the public authorities.  Appeals can also be heard in the Supreme Court.